Broadcasting Services are very important for national development in each country. Both FM Radio and TV Services are used to convey messages to the citizens on public awareness, political, economic and social issues. The Media industry relies on Radio and TV bands to do business. It is very important that FM Radio and TV Bands are managed efficiently and equitably distributed to Broadcasters. There is need for proper planning and frequency management to avoid harmful interference and unlicensed emissions. This course shall share with participants important spectrum regulations for broadcasting and how to manage and operate broadcasting frequencies in an efficient and economical manner.
Pain Points: Congestion in VHF Broadcast bands, TV white spaces, Harmful interference, Quality of broadcast signals, non-compliant broadcast equipment, poor coverage, EMC issues, 5G bands.
Value Proposition: Radio Spectrum is a very important natural resource. Spectrum is finite and therefore should be used sparsely and efficiently for the common good of all citizens. All countries in the world follow laid down spectrum Regulations and Standards under coordination by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU). This is necessary to ensure proper and efficient utilization of the radio spectrum by all nations that are signatories to ITU treaty. It is therefore critical that stake holders are properly equipped with know-how and tools to manage the radio spectrum timely, and efficiently. Of particular importance is skills training on broadcasting technology.
Methodology: Theory with simulations
- The main purposes of this workshop is to provide officers with skills to plan, manage and monitor radio broadcasting operators and service providers
- The officers shall learn ITU-R Regulations for broadcasting and
- The officers will familiarize with best practices of broadcasting planning and engineering
Workshop Learning Outcomes:
- After undergoing training, the officers will be able to plan and implement broadcasting plans and manage broadcast stations effectively
- The officers will be able to assign and manage broadcast frequencies for Terrestrial and Satellite services.
- Officers will be able to implement the latest FSS and BSS regulations from WRC.
- Introduction to Radio Propagation
- Broadcasting services and bands
- Broadcast Policy and Regulations
- ITU-R Standards and Regulations for Broadcasting
- Digital Broadcasting Network
- Broadcasting frequency planning
- TV White spaces
- Monitoring of FM broadcast stations
- IPTV and other Cable TV Services
- Broadband Satellite Broadcasting Services
- Mobile broadcasting services
- 5G frequency plans and broadcasting frequencies